One of the biggest global celebrations, International Women’s Day (IWD) is held annually on March 8. IWD delivers a truly universal message and marks a time to reflect on gender equality and the many struggles faced by women throughout history. Importantly, the day also brings light to the issues and inequalities many women still face today, along with the remarkable achievements made by women from all walks of life.
Working in tandem with our sister company Bluejuice Events, Waples was tasked by International Women’s Day Illawarra (IWD Illawarra) to handle Event Management, Marketing and Advertising, Sponsorship, Social Media Management and Public Relations for the highly anticipated annual IWD Illawarra Lunch. Waples Marketing Group has proudly worked with IWD Illawarra for more than 10 years, and Waples Executive Director Vicki Tiegs also serves as the IWD Illawarra Chair.
In the lead-up to the 2019 event on March 8 at the WIN Entertainment Centre, the following goals were established:
- Build Awareness and excitement around the IWD Illawarra event across various local demographics. The lead-up to the event was also recognised as a strategic time to build awareness of the charitable functions of IWD Illawarra, such as its scholarship program.
- Drive ticket sales with an increased year-over-year sales target quantity.
- Coordinate event sponsorship, including the retaining of established sponsors and the negotiation of new sponsorship opportunities.
- Event management, ensuring the optimum management of the IWD Illawarra event from conception to execution.
From an event marketing perspective, the IWD Illawarra event perfectly demonstrates the key benefits of working with a full-service agency. By utilising the diverse service offering at Waples, the approach efficiently encompassed the following tasks:
- Marketing Services: Enlisting our marketing services team to handle a variety of tasks including creative and TVC production, the development of event collateral and social media management.
- Event Promotion: Ensuring smooth communication with the IWD Illawarra committee through weekly face-to-face meetings. Taking the event from the conception phase to complete event running responsibility on the day.
- Public Relations: To build awareness of the 2019 IWD Illawarra event and keynote speaker Rabia Siddique across various local media channels.
The 2019 IWD Illawarra event continued solidifying its reputation as an unmissable charity tradition within the local business community. Other key achievements included:
- Ticket Sales and Sponsorship Success: This year’s event saw ticket sales increase by 8.3% compared to 2018. Reflecting the event’s strong reputation, a total of 30 sponsors were locked in, the most ever secured for this event.
- Amplification of Marketing Services: This year’s event saw the increased output of Marketing Collateral, Save the Date, Poster, EDM’s, Press Ads, Raffle Artwork, Event Program, Web Artwork and Social Media Artwork. Our in-house social media team also generated higher engagement figures on both Facebook and Instagram.
- Empower – A Magazine First: Utilising our in-house marketing, design and content creation offering, this year saw the development of Empower, a brand new inaugural IWD Illawarra magazine. Distributed to more than 4,000 locals, the magazine shared the inspirational stories of Illawarra women through editorial and a local studio photo shoot. Event sponsors were also seamlessly integrated into the final product.
- Advertising, Media Buying & PR: From the initial production and coordination of the IWD Illawarra TVC, to the key speaker announcement and release of ticket sales, we leveraged our unique and trusted relationship with local media channels (Illawarra Mercury, WIN News, i98FM) to roll out an extensive public relations campaign designed to maximise brand and event exposure.